Great Lakes Now internship: telling environmental and social justice stories

Mia Litzenberg

Major: Journalism (Environment, Science, and Health Reporting concentration) Minor: Environmental studies and sustainability

Year: Junior

Internship: News Reporting Intern, Detroit PBS Great Lakes Now

It feels surreal to be wrapping up my internship with Detroit PBS Great Lakes Now. These past 13 weeks have flown by and I feel like I was just getting started.

This internship was invaluable in teaching me what it means to step into the role of a full-time environmental journalist. My curiosity and natural passion for learning were enthralled by every opportunity I had to research a topic, listen to a person tell their story, and speak with a team that shared in their enthusiasm for this field.

In this short time I have built a greater capacity for longer stories, extensive outreach, meticulous organization skills, building a network of sources, and cultivating close relationships with professionals in the field.

As an environmental and social justice storyteller, I learned how to communicate with a diverse range of people to give a voice to underrepresented and underserved communities. This experience has been invaluable in shaping my confidence in my abilities to grow in my career.

I felt well-prepared for this position, thanks to the incredible environmental journalism and sustainability programs at MSU. One of the biggest challenges I faced was covering the entire Great Lakes region. Once I learned the different types of sources I would need, I was able to narrow down my search to one source per U.S. state or Canadian province in the region.

The highlight of my internship was working with an amazing editor who strengthened my writing from improving structure flow to balancing ethical decision-making.

As the school year picks back up, I am packing my bags to study abroad in Spain for the fall semester before returning to MSU in the spring.

My work can be read on the Great Lakes Now website and stay tuned for one more piece.