The Knight Center for Environmental Journalism has launched its first competition for grants to help fund documentary projects (video, audio or multi-media) on environmental topics.
We expect to award three grants of up to $3,500 each. The competition is open to MSU faculty-student teams from any department or college.
Here are the essentials
- Deadline for submission: March 20, 2015, at 5 p.m.
- Decisions to be announced approximately April 6.
- Open to faculty and students from all departments at MSU.
- Maximum award: $3,500 for 1 year
These must be documentaries, not public service announcements or advocacy pieces. The Knight Center must be credited for underwriting the project.
The Knight Center will be entitled to use your documentary, including linking on our website and presentation in classes, workshops and other activities.
Allowable expenses include travel, essential equipment, supplies, pay for students and festival & competition entry fees. All expenditures must comply with MSU procedures and rules. Any equipment purchased remains MSU property.
What to Submit
- Working title
- Medium: video, audio or other digital media
- Project summary (200 words maximum): What compelling story will you tell?
- Estimated timeline: Be realistic.
- Most likely audiences: Whom do you expect to watch or listen to it?
- For video & audio documentaries, what length do you expect the final version to be?
- Distribution plans: How will you disseminate your product?
- Budget plan: How do you plan to spend the money?
- Team members:
- Faculty: name, rank and department or school and project role, with abbreviated CV
- Students: name, year, major and project role, with resume
- Potential problems and obstacles
- Links to any relevant projects by team members, or bring a CD to the Knight Center office at 382 Com Arts Building by the deadline
Send your application material to Knight Center Administrative Assistant Barb Miller, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email questions to Eric Freedman, director of the Knight Center, freedma5@msu.