Interlochen Public Radio is seeking an environmental news intern for the summer. This paid position is funded by the Knight Center for Environmental Journalism and is open to students or recent graduates associated with Michigan State University. The internship will run at least three months, beginning in May and continuing into August, according to the intern’s availability. The deadline to apply is January 31, 2018
This is an extraordinary opportunity for any aspiring journalist interested in public media and the environment. The intern will learn to probe people for detailed information, connect ideas and facts into a larger context and tell stories that help people understand the natural world. In addition to working with the staff at IPR, you will participate in a weeklong workshop run by Transom.org, a national leader in radio storytelling.
Major responsibilities will include the following:
- Research issues and story ideas, possibly for credit, during the spring semester.
- Produce environmental news stories for public radio.
- Produce related digital content.
- Share stories with the Knight Center’s online environmental news service, Great Lakes Echo.
- Help manage IPR News Radio’s daily broadcast.
- Some training and experience, even if largely academic, in environmental journalism; reporting and writing.
- Experience with digital audio recording and editing gear is helpful but can be learned at IPR.
- A current or former student at Michigan State University, preferably one involved with the Knight Center for Environmental Journalism.
- Compensation: $1,000 per month plus housing and all meals when the cafeteria is open.
- Required documents for application are: cover letter/letter of interest, resume, audio samples of work and a listing of three current references. You can upload these documents during the submission of the application process by selecting “Apply and continue to upload documents” button. Please upload your documents in a pdf format.
- Application will appear after hitting the apply now button at the bottom of the following page: http://interlochenarts.force.com/jobs/VanaHCM__Job_Detail?Id=a7t4A000000XagVQAS